Performance Update

Here are some notes on the progress of the visual side to my performance.

IMG_3108 IMG_3109

I am sticking to the installation idea i have encompassing audience members in a box of four projectors.

On the first of the four walls will be my evolution of the Bittersweet Symphony music video. It will start with just fields to symbolise the ‘started from nothing’ mentality , which the song represents. This will then g into a darkened tour of the Holocaust memorial (Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe) in Berlin. The memorial is 2711 concrete slabs of different sizes. I am taking the visual of bleak concrete blocks as a sign of change, and arguably progression, from the plain flat fields. It will finally finish with my Lincoln version of the music video. I will film myself walking from the cathedral, a symbol of grandeur and hope, to the less fortunate parts of Lincoln. This will hopefully show the struggle and difference of different people throughout a single city.

The second of the projections is less complicated yet also less set. It will have archetypal pictures of people of today ranging from the Upper Class Kings Road “gentleman” to the East End street boy. I will remove the face of each picture and will stand in my boxers in front of it. This will play with the idea that we are all equal when we are naked. This is also playing hand in hand with the idea of other people’s projections on others.

The third I want to be both comical and shocking, polar opposites if possible. This projection will be showing people failing. It could be silly failing like falling off a skate board or more serious issues such as murder. Its intention is to show that whatevr we may expect there are going to be unforeseeable boundaries and challenges. this challenges may be so great that our dreams may not materialise. Furthermore it is inspired by a mantra made famous by the rapper 50 Cent, ‘Get Rich or Die Tryin”.

A Still from 'Get Rich or Die Tryin''. Taken from www.imgarcade.com
A Still from ‘Get Rich or Die Tryin”. Taken from www.imgarcade.com

The final projection will be a selection of Tweets and Facebook status’ expressing peoples dreams. It will show what the goals of our society are.

Untitled

As all the films will be playing simultaneously this will create individual experiences as oppose to a unified audience collective experience. People will be able to pick and chose as of when then watch each of the videos.